Category Archives: General

General updates and blog posts

Spring Cleaning: The Staff List

As summer is very quickly approaching, we figured we’d squeeze in one last bit of spring cleaning.

Our staff list is a bit overdue on a clean. We’ve been a bit slow to remove those of our team that have decided to move on from ShoutWiki, for various reasons.

“Out with the old…”

We’ve said goodbye to Lynton, Solar Dragon, Pinky and Jedimca0 all of whom gave up ShoutWiki due to other personal commitments a number of years ago.

Unfortunately, Richard Cook (Cook879) has chosen to resign due for personal reasons. Richard has been our face to the community for a long time and his presence will be hugely missed by everyone. You may have noticed Richard reduce his activity in February, and has been working with us to handover since then. Today we finalised the last of this, and we’re announcing this change.

We would like to thank all of these amazing individuals for the time and effort they have put into ShoutWiki.

“In with the new.”

We’d like to introduce you to the newest member of our team – Samantha Nguyen. Samantha will be filling a small part of the hole left by Richard. You’ll primarily see Samantha answering tickets and dealing with spam as part of our Community Support team, however you may also notice her on Phabricator dealing with design and user interface issues, or editing on Brickipedia.

Samantha is based in the US and helps us respond in more timezones.


Please hang with us as we get Samantha up to speed with the huge challenge that is supporting our amazing communities.

#MissingType and Mistakes

This week’s update focuses on the rather noticeable unsuccessful MediaWiki 1.27.0 which we’ve previously talked about here on the blog, and the important #MissingType campaign.

For a summary of what happened, we’ve embedded a copy of our Facebook apology.

We’ve learnt from the mistakes from this episode and we have been working on adding in a testing environment to our setup to stop future repeats of this. We’re also taking steps to make sure we tell our users what a problem is in future.

As some of you have noticed, we’re missing letters. We’ve decided to take part in the #MissingType campaign, which promotes blood donation by moving the letters of the three letters of the major blood groups – A, B and O. (We do know we missed the wide scale campaign, but the work is never done!)

Earlier today, I personally took part and donated my own blood for the first time. The process usually takes less than an hour and most people can become blood donors. In the UK, there are over 3000 different venues across the country.

First time blood donation. #giftblood #missingtype

A photo posted by Lewis Cawte (@lcawte) on

For those in the UK, signing up is as simple as going to For those in the US, see the Red Cross Website and for those in the rest of the world, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Cresent Societies website will help you find information about your country.

Sign up, #GiftBlood and help save a life today.